The White Room (Director’s Cut) is the fourth entry in the Samplecity Thru Trancentral series, released on all major streaming services on 23 April 2021. It is the first chapter not explicitely announced on the original flyposter.
The Director’s Cut is meant to fill a historic gap between the scrapped movie soundtrack and the later commercial album, presenting an alternate unreleased version of The White Room completed in 1989. Since this version predates the 1991 release it does not include some of the later tracks, most notably of course the later radio versions of What Time Is Love? and 3 a.m. Eternal as they had not been recorded at that point in history. It does, however, feature the original versions of Go To Sleep and The Lover’s Side (or edits thereof) as well as the previously promo-only Madrugada Eterna (Club Mix Edit).
Promotion & Advertising
Once again flyposters had been put up in the usual place, announcing the release date alongside a brief description and tracklist.
THE WHITE ROOM – Director’s Cut by The KLF is a version of The White Room that was completed but not released in 1990.
THE WHITE ROOM – Director’s Cut by The KLF was constructed in various recording studios by The Justified Ancients Of Mu Mu, between early 1989 and sometime in 1990.THE WHITE ROOM - Director's Cut Flyposter
Tracks & Formats
The White Room (Director’s Cut)
|Digital Album / 23 Apr 2021|
|1||Go To Sleep||3:15|
|2||Make It Rain||3:49|
|3||Madrugada Eterna (Club Mix Edit)||3:02|
|4||Church of The KLF||1:42|
|5||Last Train To Trancentral (da Force, Over & Out)||5:49|
|6||Build A Fire||4:41|
|7||The White Room||3:47|
|8||No More Tears||9:22|
|9||The Lover’s Side||3:54|
|10||Justified & Ancient (Black Steel joins The JAMs)||4:44|
As with previous releases in the Samplecity Thru Trancentral series, some of the tracks included on the Director’s Cut have been slightly altered or updated.
- The fadeout on Go To Sleep happens earlier than on the soundtrack version, probably to avoid the sample of the Todd Terry Project’s Bango included with the original edit.
- Make It Rain lacks the ‘Pump, pump, a little harder’ sample.
- Church of The KLF starts with the reversed fade in from the original soundtrack version, omitting the ‘Take me, u-hu, take me…’ sample performed by P.P. Arnold. The Director’s Cut version also does not segue into the following track, though keen listeners will be able to hear a brief bit of new drum samples from the original soundtrack version played during the fadeout.
- Last Train To Trancentral starts right after the string section and features a completely new additional verse from Ricardo Lyte after the breakdown.
- The White Room is shorter than the album version.
- The Lover’s Side has some of the “Ho-ho-ho-ho-hold me” bits removed and is slightly shorter than the soundtrack version.
- Justified & Ancient has a slightly longer wind noises during the intro.